Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Corn Chowder

I'm not a fan of the cold.  The kids get stir crazy, which drives me crazy and makes me grumpy.  And it's cold.  I really, really don't like to be cold.  When I start to shiver I really shiver.  It takes, what seems like, forever to warm up and then my body aches because of the shivers. 

On the bright side, cold weather is a great excuse to make soups, stews, and chilies.  Like this Corn Chowder.  I was surprised how well it went over with the kids.  Most of them had seconds!


8 ounces bacon
6 cups diced onions 
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
12 cups chicken stock
6 cups diced potatoes
3 (16 ounce) packages frozen corn kernels
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and crumble; save for garnish. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and butter to the bacon fat, cook for about 10 minutes until the onions are tender and translucent. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in chicken stock. Add potatoes, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add the corn to the soup. Next add the half-and-half and cheddar. Cook for 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted (do not boil!). Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve topped with bacon.

Recipe adapted from Skip to my Lou.

3 comments:

  1. I had corn chowder on the brain--thinking it would be good for Thanksgiving. Thank you for the the subliminal message dear friend, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help. ;) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...