Thursday, November 15, 2012

Chocolate Cake Balls Pops

Calling all chocoholics!  These Chocolate Cake Ball Pops are for you.  They're chocolate x 3 and amazing!  My kids loved them so much they wanted to share them.  With everyone.  Friends, teachers, neighbors.....  After sampling multiples, of course.  I loved them so much I wanted to share them too.  To keep myself from eating them.


 I'm drooling!

All packaged up for my girls to take to their teachers.  They LOVE their teachers!
 
1 package chocolate cake mix (or your favorite chocolate cake recipe) baked according to package directions and cooled
1 1/2 cups chocolate frosting (I used this Chocolate Frosting)
3 cups milk chocolate chips (semi-sweet would work as well)
2 tablespoons shortening
Sprinkles, optional

Crumble cake into a large bowl and add 1 cup of the chocolate frosting; mix well.  Add remaining frosting, a little at a time, if needed, to make a mixture that holds together.  Shape into small balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Place a sucker stick into the balls and press well into the cake ball (I go all the way to the bottom of the cake ball).  Place cake balls in the refrigerator and cool for at least 1 hour.  Combine chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring well after each 30 seconds, until the everything is melted and smooth.  Remove cake ball pops from the refrigerator and dip into the chocolate, one at a time (I like to dip just the top part of the stick as well.  I think it helps the ball stay on.  Hold the pop above the chocolate to let the excess chocolate drip off (I hold it for 10 to 15 seconds and I hold the pop side ways instead of upside down to help prevent the ball from falling off).  Place pop back on the parchment paper and sprinkle with sprinkles, if desired.  You can also put the pops in a glass with the pops up after dipping if you prefer them without the flat side.  I like the flat bottom because I think they are easier to serve.

Recipe from The Royal Cook - an original!

Linked on Sweet as Sugar Cookies.

2 comments:

  1. A Chocoholics dream come true...on a stick no less!! Thank you for sharing:-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love cake pops. Great recipe and photos. Have to try these ones. :)

    Heidi
    Exede

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...