Friday, March 22, 2013

Key Lime Pie Cake Pops

I'm so excited that spring is finally here!   We welcomed it in style.  With snow.  I was due with my 4th (and 5th) in July and actually wanted snow in the spring.  I even requested snow in June.  It ended up snowing on May 31 and I was happy as could be.  Pretty sure I was about the only one happy about it though.  This year I'm not requesting snow in June.  Or in May.  Or even in April.

The Key Lime Pie Cake Pops are perfect for the spring (the sunny kind of spring, not the snowy kind of spring).  They are so pretty and every bit as delicious, if not more delicious!



1 box yellow cake mix
1/3 cup key lime juice
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
Food coloring, optional
1 pound vanilla almond bark (or white chocolate chips or white candy melts)
1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs

Key Lime Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons key lime juice

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine cake mix, key lime juice, eggs and milk (I also added 2 drops of blue food coloring to make the batter a little green).  Pour into a greased 9x13 inch pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.  Let the cake cool completely, then crumble into a large bowl.  To make the frosting, combine butter and powdered sugar and mix until combined.  Add key lime juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.  Add about 3/4 of the frosting to the cake crumbs and mix well.  Add more frosting, if necessary, to make a stiff mixture that holds its shape when formed into balls.  Shape cake mixture into balls about the size of a walnut and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Freeze balls for 30 minutes.  Remove balls from freezer and insert a sucker stick into each ball (I like to put my sucker sticks in, then remove them and dip them in a little of the melted almond bark, then put the sticks back in the cake balls and let them set before dipping).  Place vanilla almond bark in a microwave safe bowl.  Melt almond bark in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring well after each 30 seconds.  Dip each cake pop into the melted almond bark, then gently tap the stick on the side of the bowl to remove excess almond bark.  Sprinkle with crushed graham crackers.  To keep the cake pops right side up, I poked holes in an empty box and put a pop in each hole.  I've also used a glass jar.

Recipe from The Royal Cook - an original!

Linked on The Best Blog Recipes, The Busy Bee's, Tatertots and Jello, Finding the Pretty & Delicious and Pinworthy Projects.  

8 comments:

  1. Key Lime Pie was Kelly's favorite "summer" dessert. I must make them to send to her son and see if he inherited her tastes...like he did her big brown eyes:-D XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Busy Bee Blog Hop - love this! My husband will love it even more as he loves Key Lime. Pinning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my husband loves key lime so I bet he would adore these! I hope you will consider linking it up to the Pinworthy Projects Party over at my blog, Just Us Four.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGoodness!! I LOVE Key Lime Pie and I LOVE Cake Pops!! So now I'm on;y wishing I could take a bite!! Yum..Were throwing a party and would love for you to stop in and link up :)
    jojoandeloise.com/2013/04/knock-our-socks-off-party-3-2/
    xo
    Angelina

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must know how much I adore lime or anything citrus! These sound superb! Thanks for linking up to Sweet & Savory Saturdays #6!

    ~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
    http://dessertnowdinnerlater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post. bakeries in benton ar

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...