Saturday, June 30, 2012

4th of July Lofthouse Sugar Cookie Bars

 These 4th of July Lofthouse Sugar Cookie Bars are fantastic!  The family loved them, they're moist and very tasty.  Oh, and there's frosting.  And sprinkles.  Sprinkles make everything better.  The only complaint?  Not enough frosting.  Go figure.  They said sugar cookies are supposed to have as much frosting as cookie. :)  If you are like my sugar loving family (that's why they're all so sweet!), double the frosting.  Or triple.  It's up to you.



1 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sprinkles (the kind used on top of the bars)

Combine butter, cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl and beat until smooth.  Add egg and vanilla and beat until thoroughly mixed.  Add baking powder, baking soda and flour.  Mix until the dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed in.  Spread onto a greased 10x15 inch pan.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until just starting to turn golden around the edges. 

 Frosting:
1/2 cup shortening
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
dash salt
2 to 3 tablespoons milk

Combine shortening, powdered sugar and salt and mix until well combined.  Add vanilla extract, butter flavoring and milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until smooth and desired consistency is reached.  Frost cooled bars and sprinkle with additional sprinkles.

Frosting recipe from The Royal Cook - an original!  Bar recipe from Cookies & Cups.

 Linked on Sweets for a Saturday.

6 comments:

  1. A great recipe to add to my 4th of July celebration. These remind me of a bar my mother made...thank you for bringing back a sweet memory! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful made!
    These cookie-bars look just great, and I like the idea of adding sprinkles into the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of making lofthouse sugar cookie bars and these look like the recipe to try first! They look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these...we loved them! I ate more than one, two...well, maybe three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved them Kate. I hate to admit how many I ate. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Susan - Just to let you know I've featured you in my July 4th Round-up - thanks so much for sharing Alice x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...