Monday, February 27, 2012

School Lunch Room Rolls

I had a "lunch lady" that lived in my neighborhood that brought some rolls to a get-together. They were fabulous and I learned that they were the elementary schools secret recipe. I somehow sweet talked the recipe out of her (I think I said please) so now we can enjoy the rolls anytime.


5 to 8 ¼ cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 ¼ cup powdered milk
1/3 cup shortening
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons yeast
2 eggs
2 ½ cups warm water

Pour warm water in a large bowl and sprinkle with yeast, then sugar.  Let sit until the yeast is dissolved and foamy - about 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of the flour and remaining ingredients to the yeast mixture and mix well. Add remaining flour 1 cup at a time until dough is soft (use as little flour as possible). Knead until smooth and elastic - about 5 minutes. Cover the dough and let it rise until doubled - about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Roll dough out ½ to 1 inch thick. Spread with softened butter and cut into circles with a round cookie cutter.  Wrap each circle of dough around your finger and lay seam side down on greased baking sheet (I put the center of the circle across the top of my pointer finger and wrap both sides under). Cover and let rise again until at least doubled - about 45 minutes. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes. Brush hot rolls with melted butter.

3 comments:

  1. Boy have you brought back memories! My mom worked in the school cafeteria, as a baker, when my youngest sister was in junior high. I love these rolls and with our rainy weather, they'll be perfect with a pot of soup and a salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO excited. I remember smelling this rolls baking at school and getting SO hungry. I cannot wait to make these! I do have a question, is the flour all purpose or self rising? Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...