Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Smooth As Silk Frosting

This frosting really is as smooth as silk. I have never had such a silky smooth frosting. And the taste? Amazing! It's not as sweet as a buttercream frosting (like my Vanilla Buttercream Frosting), but every bit as delicious. I think I might have eaten a little too much before it went onto the cake. Maybe.....

Smooth As Silk Frosting takes a little time to make, but is worth every minute. It starts with a white sauce and ends with silky smooth perfection. Even my frosting hater loved it! I know, I know. Who doesn't love frosting? She is a bit weird. :)


3 tablespoon Flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup real butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk together the flour and the milk. Heat in a small sauce pan on medium heat. Whisk continuously until it starts to thicken. Cook until the mixture is thick enough that you can see the bottom of the pan while stirring. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Once it has cooled off some, you can put it in the fridge. Combine sugar and butter and beat until fluffy. Add vanilla and thickened milk mixture. Continue beating until the mixture is light and fully (it took me just over 5 minutes). When it is finished you shouldn't be able to feel any of the sugar.

Recipe from Our Best Bites.

Linked on Sweets for a Saturday.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Susan, this brought back such memories of making frosting when I was younger and we were out of confectioners' sugar. It is a really good icing that I prefer to American buttercream. Thanks for the memory;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am intrigued! I've never heard of this! I'm bookmarking this now! thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does a cake with this frosting need to be kept chilled?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to keep mine in the fridge, but I think if if was left out all day it would be fine.

      Delete
  4. I made this last night, however, mine came out with small slivers of something in it (maybe flour). Ever happen to you? Maybe I over cooked my flour mixture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had that problem. Did you whisk the flour and milk mixture really well and make sure it was smooth? I hope you still enjoyed it. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...