Friday, March 30, 2012

Homemade Cadbury Creme Eggs

I don't think it would be Easter without a Cadbury Creme Egg or 2 (dozen....). My 3 year old had fun making them with me (she's the best "taster" girl ever!) and all of the kids had fun eating them.


1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
3 1/2 - 4 cups powdered sugar
pinch salt
1 pound chocolate chips, melts, or bark
1 tablespoon shortening (if using chocolate chips)

Beat together butter and corn syrup until smooth. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat until smooth and combined. You may need to stir in the last cup or so by hand. Place about 1/3 of the dough in a separate bowl and color with yellow food coloring (I used about 3 drops, but think 1 more would have been better to help the yellow stand out a little more). Divide white dough into even pieces and place on a greased cookie sheet (I used my small cookie scoop and ended up with 22 pieces). Divide yellow dough in to an equal number of pieces and place on a greased cookie sheet (I used a baby spoon for the yellow). Chill dough for 20 to 30 minutes to stiffen up a bit (it will be a bit sticky). Remove dough from the fridge and roll the yellow dough into balls. I put powdered sugar on my hands to keep the dough from sticking. Flatten each white piece of dough a bit and place a yellow piece in the center of the white dough. Wrap the white dough around the yellow and form into a ball (or egg shape). Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. If using the microwave, heat in 30 second increments at 50% power. Stir well after each heating. Dip each egg in chocolate and place on a piece of parchment paper to dry.

Recipe adapted from Raising 4 Princesses.

Linked on Sweets for a Saturday and Get Your Brag On.

5 comments:

  1. My husband loves these eggs - I'll have to make some for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, never thought of making them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this. I love Cadbury eggs! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to try this!! Cadbury eggs have always been my absolute fav!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...