Friday, January 11, 2013

Candy Sushi

My friend Rachie swore she would NEVER touch sushi.  The near thought of it made her ill.  Not that sushi is my favorite stuff on the planet, but I do enjoy a nice California roll every once in a while.  Being the nice friend that I am, I made her some lovely sushi.

All packaged up in a lovely sushi take out container.  When she first saw it she thought I really made her real sushi.



1 batch crispy rice treats (I used my Crazy Good Crispy Rice Treats)
Green fruit roll ups (I used Jovy green apple because the color is deeper than some of the others I looked at.)
Red and green sour punch straws
Large gummy fish candy

To make the California rolls:
Press about half of the crispy rice treats mixture onto a greased baking sheet and press down until it's about 1/2 inch thick.  Press remaining mixture into a greased 8x8 inch greased pan until it's about 1 inch thick and set aside.  I didn't use the entire pan for either.

Place 2 green (cucumber and avocado) and 1 red (crab) sour straw on the thinner crispy rice close to the edge.  Roll tightly and cut once the crispy rice just covers the sour straws.  Repeat with remaining sour straws and crispy rice mixture.  Cut the fruit roll ups into strips that are wide enough to go around the rolls.  I cut the rounded edges off and used the center part.  My strips ran the length of the fruit roll up (less the rounded edges) and were about 4 inches wide.  Save the scraps.  Wrap the fruit roll up around the roll and press to seal.  Let sit for 1 hour before cutting into 1 inch slices.

Other sushi:
Cut the crispy rice treats in the 8x8 inch pan into about 1x2 inch piece.  Top each piece with a gummy fish candy.  Cut fruit roll up scraps into thin strips (1/4-1/8 inch wide).  Cut strips into lengths to fit around the crispy rice treats with the fish on top, about 5 inches long.

Recipe from The Royal Cook - an original!

Linked on Sweet as Sugar Cookies, Serendipity and Spice, Whisk Away Wednesday, Six Sisters' Stuff, Show & Tell Saturday, Pamela's Heavenly Treats, Hello Weekend and Tatertots and Jello.

5 comments:

  1. Wow .. those look sooo good! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sooo cool! I had to pin it for later. Thanks for sharing! Come visit me at www.lifeawayfromtheofficechair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. youre a genius. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...