Monday, January 7, 2013

Susan's Granola

I like new words.  I remember being in 3rd grade and having a substitute teacher.  Her name was Miss Evans and I thought she was super cool.  Super cool because we had the same last name.  And also super cool because she taught me a new word.  Facetious.  I felt so cool using such a big word.  I still use it with my kids when I want to sound smart.  It's strange to me that no matter how smart I really am, or how much schooling I have under my belt, the kids think I'm no smarter than a rock.  My 11 year old doesn't believe a thing I say.  Sometimes I tell her to call Granny when she doesn't believe me on something.  She still thinks Granny is smart.  I thoroughly enjoy the look on her face when Granny tells her I'm right.  Not exactly in those words, though. 

Earlier this year I learned another new word (I learned several new words between 3rd grade and now, but that would be a lot of words to put in a single post!).  This new word was introduced by my husband. Conundrum.  I used to call my mom and tell her I had a dilemma.  She would tell me that dilemma should have been my middle name.  Susan Dilemma, instead of Susan Beth.  After figuring out what conundrum meant, the sweet hubs wouldn't tell me, he said I had to figure it out myself, I called my mom and told her I had a conundrum.  And she knew exactly what I meant.  I told her I was offended that she knew what the word meant and I had gone my entire life in ignorance.

And then this summer my friend Rachie moved into the neighborhood.  She didn't teach me any new words, just reintroduced a couple of old words to my vocabulary.  Rad and dude.  My friend Rachie, she's rad.

This granola is pretty rad too.



6 cups uncooked oatmeal (not instant)
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
3/4 cup wheat germ
2 cups chopped nuts (I used almond and pecans)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup water

Combine oatmeal, coconut, wheat germ and nuts in a large bowl.  Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well combined.  Pour over oatmeal mixture and mix well.  Pour onto a large baking sheet and bake at 300 for 1 hour, stirring after every 15 minutes.

Recipe from The Royal Cook - an original.

Linked on Sweet as Sugar Cookies and Serendipity and Spice.

4 comments:

  1. I love granola over fruit with yogurt--such a light and healthy way to start your morning, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my go-to breakfasts!

      Delete
  2. It looks veryyyyyyyyyyyy tempting
    I have no doubt it delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...