Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Old Fashioned Mints

Yesterday my sweet (most the time) little 6 year old came home from school and nicely asked insisted I tell her which one of my daughters is the most beautiful girl in the entire world.  That wasn't a hard task.  I quickly told her it was ShAK (shake).  Boy was she confused!  She looked at me like I was crazy and informed me that I didn't have a child with that name. I asked her what the first sound of Shaye's name was.  Sh she told me.  So I asked her what the first sound of her name was.  She told me A (for Asia).  Then I asked her what sound Kailee's name started with.  And she told me K.  I nicely sounded it out for her.  Sh-A-K.  She told me that I couldn't do that.  It just wasn't fair!  Okay, I told her.  The most beautiful girl in the world is KASh (cash).  Once again, she wasn't impressed, and gave up. 

These little beauties, on the other hand, did thoroughly impress the little monkey.  As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single person in the house that wasn't impressed!  These Old Fashioned Mints remind me of the little after dinner butter mints my grandpa used to keep around his house.  They're a bit softer, but just as yummy! 



1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
food coloring, optional

Combine butter and salt in a large bowl and beat for 1 minute on medium-high speed. Add 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and peppermint extract, and beat on medium-low speed until it forms a dough. Add more powdered sugar or sweetened condensed milk, if needed, to make a soft, but not sticky dough.  If you are coloring the dough, divide dough into as many pieces as colors you are making.  Roll each piece of dough into a ball and make an indentation with your thumb.  Drop a drop or 2 of the food coloring into the indentation and knead until the color is incorporated.  Continue with each color until all pieces of dough are colored.  Break off golf ball sized pieces of dough and roll into a long, skinny rope, about 1/2-inch thick.  Cut into pieces that are about 1/2-inch long.  Let the candies dry on the counter or on a cookie sheet over night, if you can keep little hands off them!

*Next time I'll add 1/2 teaspoon of butter flavoring.  I would have this time, but I was all out.  Sometimes I think there's a ghost in my house that can read my mind and takes things I think about.  How else could I run out of things like ground beef, and chocolate chips!?!

Recipe from Averie Cooks.

Linked on Tatertots and Jello, Show & Tell Saturday, Show & Tell Saturday, Sweet as Sugar Cookies, Pamela's Heavenly Treats, Hello Weekend, Sunday FUNday, Manic Monday, Whisk Away Wednesday and Six Sisters' Stuff.

6 comments:

  1. Susan, these look amazing and I am equally impressed:-D I just got back from a trade show and would like some now...wish we lived closer, XOXO
    BTW-I love Trix! and can't wait to see a movie and bring back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am terrible at candy making...these candies look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are for the candy making impaired! ;) No thermometers, cooking, baking or anything like that. If you can use a knife, you can make these. :) H

      Delete
  3. That was easy peasy. I'm shocked. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    We may have met by chance...but we become friends by choice.
    http://simpleesue.com/soup-kitchen-recipes-italian-wedding-soup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my these look wonderful! I used to love those mints when I was younger we used to get them as favors for weddings and showers! You have been featured at Heavenly Treats Sunday make sure you come over Friday to get your featured button! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your old fashioned mints look so amazing and I bet they taste just as great. Thank you for sharing on Whisk Away Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...