Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole

I am a huge fan of sweet potatoes, to say the least, so it always baffles me that my kids aren't fans.  They did come from me, after all.  Granny even thinks sweet potatoes are pretty tasty little buggers, so it baffles me even more that the kids don't like them.  Especially since the kids think Granny is so incredibly cool.  My 11 year old has even informed me that she likes her Granny more than she likes me.  According to the 11 year old, her Papa is #1 on her "like" list with Granny coming in a very close #2.  And if I'm lucky, I'm a very, very distant #3.  On a good day.

This Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole was one of my successful attempts to get the kids to eat sweet potatoes and actually like them.



1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable for a vegetarian version)
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 large sweet potatoes (about 4 cups), cubed and boiled until tender
1 cup onion, diced
2 cups red enchilada sauce
1 teaspoon cumin
9 corn tortillas, torn into about 8 pieces each
2 cups shredded cheese (I used Colby Jack)

Combine quinoa and chicken broth in a medium sized pan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until all the broth has been absorbed.  In a large bowl combine all ingredients except cheese.  Mix well and pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Garnish with cilantro and sour cream, if desired.

Recipe from The Royal Cook - an original!

Linked on Serendipity and Spice and Whisk Away Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. These look so good and healthy! I found you on Whisk Away Wednesday and had to click! I love making good food Luscious food!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...