Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Great Harvest Honey Whole Wheat Bread

Growing up I thought that whole wheat bread was dry. That is definitely not the case with this Great Harvest Honey Whole Wheat Bread. It is not dry at all and is very good. My family is not really a fan of store bought wheat bread, but all loved this bread. My sweet hubby said "It tastes really good!" And my 10 year old (the picky one!) ate 2 pieces before I sent her off to bed. I ate it plain, with butter, with butter and jam, and with Texas Roadhouse Cinnamon Butter. Any way I ate it, it was delish!



3 tablespoons yeast (I like instant)
4 cups really warm water
1/2-3/4 cup honey
10-11 1/2 cups whole grain wheat flour
3 teaspoons salt
1/4-1 cup anything else you would like: oats, ground flax seeds, sunflower seeds, etc. (I use 1/4 cup ground flax seeds just because I have them)

Combine yeast, water, and honey, and gently mix. Let rest for 5 minutes until yeast foams. Add salt, your add in (if desired) and half the flour. Add remaining flour 1 cup at a time until you get a soft dough. Kneed for 5 minutes, then cover and let rise until double. Punch down and form into loaves - 3 smaller or 2 larger (I made 3 loaves in my 9 x 5 inch pans). Put into greased loaf pans and cover and let rise again until double. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove and and let finish cooling on a cooling rack. I like to butter the top of my loaves while they are still warm. YUM!

Recipe from Find it, Love it, Share it.

Linked on Country Mama Cooks.

10 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to find a good whole wheat bread recipe. I am going to try this on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for new bread recipes to try. This one looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I was making sure I had all the ingredients for this before I head off to the store and I just wanted to double check that there is no oil or butter in this bread recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just LOVE a slice of homemade bread with butter ♥ Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made this and it is delicious! Even though I forgot the salt :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked it Brook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder, can you omit some of the honey? I'd like to make a whole wheat but maybe add some more savory ingredients that I fear wouldn't mix with the honey so well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could leave out some of the honey and add something savory. I think herbs would be very tasty.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...