Friday, January 27, 2012

A Baking Flop Makeover - Chocolate Dipped Yellow Cake Balls

I have a story for you. A story about these amazingly delicious Chocolate Dipped Yellow Cake Balls.


Have you ever had an absolute baking/cooking flop? Well, I almost hate to admit it, but I did just the other night. My little girl picked out a recipe for some beautiful looking cup cakes. Guaranteed to be perfectly moist and just plain delicious. The batter was delicious, but most of it still managed to make it into the cup cake pans. Into the oven the amazingly delicious batter went. And then our beautiful cupcakes came out like this....


I think you could park a car in there! I thought about just filling them with extra frosting. Frosting with a little side of cake. But they wouldn't come out of the tins very well. I didn't grease the top of the pan very well. How was I supposed to know they'd do that? As you can imagine, my little 5 year old was devastated that she wasn't going to get her beautiful cupcakes. There was only one thing to do. We made these.


Chocolate Covered Yellow Cake Balls. They aren't cupcakes, but they saved the day! And boy, are they delicious! My little 5 year old shared them with her friend and her little friend told her mom "Mommy! They have really yummy stuff inside!" And they really do!


1 yellow cake, baked and cooled
1 cup vanilla frosting
1 pound chocolate candy coating

Crumble cake into a large bowl. Add frosting and mix until well combined. Roll into walnut sized balls and place on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate 15 minutes to firm up. Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Dip cake balls in chocolate and place on waxed paper to dry.

Linked on Sweets for a Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. "Disasters" are the mother of invention! LOL!! These look scrumptious and think how many more cake balls you can eat rather than one cupcake!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...