Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Penuche Fudge

Oh me, oh my! YUMMY!! This was another one of my favorites. Actually, I claimed it as my favorite right from the beginning, but it ended tying for first with Key Lime Fudge by the time I was all sampled out. Just don't tell the other flavors of fudge, I would hate for any of them to be jealous.

Penuche Fudge was a last minute addition to my list of fudge flavors to try. My sweet little 5 year old asked me to make caramel fudge. As I though of what tastes kinda caramelish, penuche frosting came to mind. Little did I know that there really was Penuche Fudge.


1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
5 ounces (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup toasted nuts, chopped (I used pecans)

Coat a 5-by-10-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line with foil or plastic wrap leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides.
Bring evaporated milk, brown sugar, butter, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture registers 236 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 25 minutes.
Transfer to a mixer bowl, and beat in confectioners' sugar on low speed. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium, and beat until mixture is thickened and smooth, 2 to 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and add vanilla and nuts.
Spread mixture in pan, smoothing top. Refrigerate, uncovered, until firm, about 25 minutes. Unmold fudge using foil/plastic overhang, and discard plastic. Cut into 18 pieces.

Recipe from Martha Stewart.

Linked on Show Me What Ya Got #54, Sweet Tooth Friday and Sweets for a Saturday #49.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...