Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Whoopie Pies

I have never had a whoopie pie before. They usually call for marshmallow creme in the filling and honestly, that didn't appeal to me. Well, I finally gave in a tried them when I saw a recipe for them in my February Family Fun magazine (but only because I had some buttermilk in the fridge I need to get used up). I didn't think that the marshmallow creme in the filling gave an overpowering taste. I really couldn't taste it too much. I actually thought that it made the filling perfect!

My sweet little 4 year old took on the job of putting the top on the pies after I had the filling in them.



2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg

Filling
1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (I just greased my pans). In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a small bowl combine buttermilk and vanilla. In a large bowl beat butter and sugar. Add the egg and beat until smooth and creamy. Add half of the flour mixture and beat until combined. Add the butter milk mixture, mixing until just blended. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until combined. Spoon heaping tablespoons of batter onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Combine all filling ingredients and mix until well blended and smooth. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of filling onto the bottom of a cake and spread, then gently press another cake on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...