Friday, October 28, 2011

Tofu Parmisiana

The first time I made Tofu Parmisiana was not long after I got married. I didn't tell my hubby what he was eating, just asked him if he liked it and if he wanted me to make it again. He told me it was great and that of course I could make it again. Then I made the mistake of telling him he was eating tofu. He put his fork down and pushed back his plate and told me to NEVER make it again. Apparently I didn't listen too well. Before he ate it the next time I told him what he was eating. And he ate it! The kids were split. Half of them loved it, the other half didn't care for it too much, but I think it was more the texture they didn't like.


2 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 jar pasta sauce
4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon oregano, salt, and black pepper. Place flour in another small bowl, and eggs, beaten, in a third small bowl. Slice tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices, and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes at 350. Remove from oven and, one at a time, dip in flour, then egg then press tofu slices into crumb mixture, turning to coat all sides. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook tofu slices until crisp on one side. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil, turn, and brown on the other side. Place a thin layer of sauce in an 8 inch square baking pan. Arrange tofu slices in the pan. Spoon remaining sauce over tofu. Top with shredded mozzarella and remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 20 minutes.

Recipe adapted from All Recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...