Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pasta with Garden Fresh Tomato Sauce

After 6 years of threatening, I am proud to report I have a garden (box)! I love fresh veggies grown from my very own garden! This year was not the greatest year for a garden (at least not for my garden). I managed to grow 1 cucumber (yes, you read that right. 1 as in one, or uno), 5 yellow squash and 10 zucchini. Really!! How in the world to you manage to contain zucchini growth to 10? I was hoping to be overrun by zucchini, but apparently I know a trick (not that I know what that trick is) that a lot of people would love to know. Hmmmm.

Anyway, I went on a trip with my momma for a week and half and my sweet little helpers decided to pick the ripe tomatoes from my garden (box)and they just sat and sat on the counter until I got home. I don't know how they managed to stay around that long with all the tomato lovers in my house, but they did. When I saw all (about 8 smallish....) the lovely tomatoes I had, I decided to make this very tasty, fresh sauce.


6 medium tomatoes (I used 8 smallish 'cause that's what I had)
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (we like it mild at our house and this seemed to be a bit much for some)
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound pasta
Parmesan cheese

Core tomatoes and tear into bite sized pieces directly into serving bowl. Add spices and oil. Lightly crush together and let sit at room temperature for 1 to 8 hours (make it in the morning and eat it for dinner!) When ready to eat, cook pasta, drain, and add to tomato mixture. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Recipe from an old ward cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...