Monday, October 3, 2011

Chocolate Caramel Cereal Bars

I think I bought too many boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios. What makes me think that? Well, I have about 10 boxes (16 to be exact.....) that say they are best if used by this month. Yep, I think I bought too many. In my attempt to use some up in a way other than swimming in milk and eaten with a spoon, I decided to make treats. And pretty tasty treats, too. The kids all loved them. But then, you really can't go wrong with caramel and chocolate. Yummo!



The handsome little guy loved them!

6 cups Honey Nut Cheerios® cereal
1 bag (14 oz) vanilla caramels, unwrapped
3 tablespoons water
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening
1/4 cup miniature candy-coated semisweet chocolate baking bits

Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. Place cereal in large bowl; set aside. In medium microwavable bowl, microwave unwrapped caramels and water uncovered on High 2 minutes 30 seconds to 4 minutes, stirring after each minute, until mixture is smooth. Remove from microwave. Pour caramel mixture over cereal in bowl; stir until cereal is evenly coated. Gently stir in marshmallows. Pour cereal mixture into pan. With buttered back of spoon, press mixture in pan until even. In small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips and shortening uncovered on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring after each minute, until mixture is smooth. Drizzle chocolate over top of cereal mixture. Sprinkle baking bits evenly over chocolate. Refrigerate until mixture is firm and glaze is set, about 1 hour.

Recipe from Betty Crocker

Shared with Show Me What Ya Got #43 and The Little Birdie Blog.

1 comment:

  1. YUM!! Can't wait to try these! With a smile like that, you know you've got a winner, haha! I'm visiting from the NJAH linky party, I hope you'll pop by and say hello!

    http://littlebirdiebaby.blogspot.com/2011/10/tutorial-tuesday-linky-party-trio-of.html

    I also have a linky party every Tuesday and would love it if you'd link up your tutorial, I'm featuring recipes this week! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...