Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cheesy Potato Soup

This soup is delicious! It is a perfect combination of cheesy, creamy, bacony (another word to add to my dictionary) goodness. This is one of my favorite soups and a family favorite.

If you like a creamier soup, smash down some of the potato chunks. Leave them whole for a chunkier soup. I usually smash some, but leave quite a few chunks.

Oh! I was just thinking (yes, it was a bit painful, but nothing that won't go away in a while). About 6 1/2 years ago I got a phone call while I was at work. The person on the other end of the phone told me that they were having a company party the next day and the caterer they hired just bailed on them - with less than 24 hours notice! Yikes! The caller asked me if I would be willing to cater the event the next day. Cater a luncheon of soup and bread 100+ people? Are you kidding me? As I am sure that you can imagine, I was a bit hesitant. I had never catered anything like that before and especially with that short of notice. She kept twisting my arm and finally pulled out the big one. She had already called my boss and arranged for me to be off the rest of the day as well as the next day. I surrendered.....gave in.....whatever you want to call it. I called my sweet hubby at work and told him what I had been talked into. I am sure he thought I was crazy (probably still does, but values his life so he says nothing), but agreed to help me out. I successfully pulled it off! Oh, yeah. I rock!! Anyway, point of the story is......this is one of the soups I made. The Human Resource Manager called me about 2 weeks later and told me that she was STILL getting compliments on the wonderful caterer they hired (aka ME!!).

Linked on It's a Keeper Thursday: Show Me What You've Got!, What's Cooking Thursday! and Bacon Mondays.


1 pound bacon
2/3 cup margarine
2/3 cup flour
7 cups milk
4 large potatoes, cubed
4 green onions, sliced
1 ¼ cups cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Cook bacon until crispy and crumble, set aside. Put potatoes in a pot and cover with water, boil until tender and drain. Melt margarine in a large pan. Add flour to make a paste. Slowly add milk and cook until thickened, stirring often. Add potatoes, green onions, cheese, salt, pepper, and bacon. Cook until cheese is melted. Add sour cream just before serving.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm, this looks like great comfort food to make you feel all warm and happy inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup looks so yum! I will be making this soup for sure! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a very hearty soup, yum:@)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...