Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Time to Reflect

I don't watch the news and I don't listen to the radio much.  Facebook was the way I found out about the unfortunate shooting at the elementary school in Connecticut.  Although I was saddened by the news, today is the day that it really hit me. 

Every year at my children's school they put on a Jingle Jam.  All the classes make their way into the gym overflowing with parents, grandparents, friends and other family, one at a time, to sing 2 Christmas songs they've learned.  I sat there watching all of those amazing children sing and their parents beaming with pride as they watched, recorded and snapped pictures of their kids.  I always have to laugh at myself when I realize how big of a smile I have on my face every time I watch my kids perform.  And that smile usually comes with at least half a tear (although I would never admit it!).

After I got home from the school, I had the realization that tomorrow is the last day of school for my kids before Christmas break.  I've been a bit of a slacker and still haven't gotten a gift for the kids teachers.  As I was thinking what I could do, it hit me that the teachers my kids have really do love and care about my kids.  What kind of gift says, not only Merry Christmas, but thank you for caring about my kids and making them feel important?  For me, that's huge!  Especially after last year.  My oldest daughter came home in tears, more than once, because her teacher had a harsh way of doing things and my sweet daughter felt hated by her teacher.  No child should have to feel that way.

As I picked my youngest daughter up from the bus today, I watched as the bus helper lovingly helped her down the stairs.  Then I watched as my baby girl ran to me, with her arms outstretched for a hug.  She was just as happy to see me as I was to see her. 

As I drove home I took the time to think about the events of the morning.  I thought of my beautiful children and the beautiful children I watched perform at the school.  I thought of the parents that love their kids every bit as much as I love mine.  I thought of the wonderful teachers my children have been blessed with.  And then I thought of those who were affected by the Sandy Hook shooting and I broke down.  I lost my niece just 2 months ago and my heart breaks for those who have lost someone.  My heart breaks for the loss, the pain, the emptiness, the heartbreak they feel.  My heart and prayers go out to them.  




1 comment:

  1. I have felt the same way; such a horrendous act of hate towards innocent children and adults. I weep too for the families, the children who escaped harm, and the on site workers who had to face removing the bodies. I pray that some resolve will come out of this and take these weapons away from people who have no business owning them.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...