Monday, April 30, 2012

Ruth's Diner Mile High Biscuits

I love biscuits.  I've baked lots of biscuits.  But until now, I haven't found a recipe that was a keeper.  These Ruth's Diner Mile High Biscuits are fantastic!  They are flaky, tender, and moist (as long as you don't over bake them......)  They're made with buttermilk, which, I've decided, is one of my favorite ingredients to bake with.  If it has buttermilk in it, it's got to be good!



3 c. flour
1 1/2 t. salt
1 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 stick cold butter (I find it easier to work with and cut into the flour mixture if it's cold)
3/4 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 c. water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a medium sized bowl. Cut the butter into about 8 pieces and put into the bowl with the flour.  Using a pastry blender (2 knives or a fork would work as well), cut the butter into the flour until it's crumbly, with the pieces of butter no larger than a small pea. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk and egg.  Mix adding just enough water to make a workable dough. Mix the dough until it is just barely combined (don't over mix). Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and press the dough into a rectangle about 1 inch thick. Either cut into 2 inch squares (I cut into the squares to avoid wasting any of the dough), or into 2 inch circles.  Place biscuits on a greased baking sheet just touching each other.  Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

Recipe from Deals to Meals

2 comments:

  1. I love to make biscuits, especially in the morning. These look so inviting and I can just imagine a hot biscuit with a bowl of grits this morning. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in salt lake city but still havnt been to Ruths diner!! gonna have to go soon. i really want to try the biscuits

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...