Thursday, April 5, 2012

French Bread

This French Bread turns out SO good!  It is every bit as good as the french bread you can buy at the store.  It's tender, light and airy and delicious!  My kids love french bread and somehow managed to make an entire loaf magically disappear before dinner.  No one seemed to know what happened to it.  The second loaf disappeared pretty quick during dinner as well.


2 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons oil
6 cups flour
1 egg white, beaten - optional
corn meal - optional

Pour water into a large bowl and sprinkle with yeast and sugar.  Let sit 10 minutes, or until foamy.  Add salt, oil and 3 cups flour.  Beat vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes, then add remaining flour and mix well (I usually add 2 cups and then the last cup as needed).  Cover and let rise for 1 hour, stirring down every 10 minutes (I use a big mixing spoon and just leave it in the dough while it is rising.  Then I use my big muscles - ha! - and stir it as well as I can every 10 minutes.)  Shape into 2 loaves and place on a greased cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal (optional).  Cut diagonal slits on the top of each load about 1 inch apart.  Let rise for 30 minutes.  Gently brush with beaten egg white (optional) and bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until loaves are lightly browned and sound hollow when lightly tapped.

Recipe from my sweet friend Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...