Saturday, November 6, 2010

Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili

So, I have been on a little bit of a healthy food kick lately. I am determined to loose this baby weight by Thanksgiving (okay, I will be honest for a minute. There is no way in the hot place that will be happening, but it is a nice thought. It will most likely hang around until I stop nursing. It will stay like flies on honey, white on rice, or, fat on me). You see, the problem with healthy food is, it tends to be a bit boring. I have been drinking green smoothies. Yes, green in color - think Shrek. Even has stuff in it that only Shrek should be eating. I would share a recipe, but honestly, I just throw a little of this weed, and a little of that weed in it (the stuff really looks like weeds - the stuff you DON'T want in your garden - dandelion greens....), add a little fruit and Voila! I even got my sweet hubby to try it. He admited that it was quite tasty, just as long as he closes his eyes while he drinks it. My 2 and 4 year olds love it too. They taste just like normal smoothies, but the color is a bit unnerving.

Apparently I got off on a bit of a, something.... Anyway, this chili was actually quite tasty. I loved the flavor the red pepper gave it. My 11 year old and hubby loved it. The girls didn't say much (I skipped out on dinner with the family for Bunko), but I was really impressed. I adapted this recipe from one I found at the Taste of Home site.

Please excuse the picture. It was taken after my sweet little 2 year old got hold of a wisk. What a great little helper I have. I also couldn't figure out how to get my camera to work. I don't seem to get along with much that is hi tech.....



1 medium onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chicken broth
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 (12.5 oz) cans chicken
1 (15 oz) can solid-pack pumpkin
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large skillet, saute the onion and pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...