Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

I just tried a sample of hummus for the first time last week at the grocery store. I know, I know. I'm a little late jumping on the hummus train, but better late than never, right? Anyway, it was absolutely delicious and so I decided to try making some. It had to be red pepper hummus, because that's what I tried, so I spent a while looking for the perfect recipe. I came across this one at MD School Mrs, and decided it was "the one". It turned out excellent!


1 can garbanzo beans (drain, but reserve the liquid into a separate bowl)
1/3 cup roasted red peppers
2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste - find it in the international foods aisle or by the peanut butter.)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Place ingredients into blender or food processor. Add in about 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid. Begin to pulse the mixture, scraping down the sides. Gradually add in more reserved liquid, if needed, until mixture becomes creamy and smooth. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. I served mine with tortilla chips, but would also be fantastic with fresh veggies or pita chips.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! So glad you tried and liked it (and that you're on the hummus band wagon - it is a great place to be!). Enjoying looking through the rest of your yummy recipes on here! :)

    -MJ from MD School Mrs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...