Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Kettle Corn

I went to the Old Folks Home this past weekend. That's what I lovingly call my parents house. Really, they aren't that old, but it's still fun to say. I probably shouldn't put that on here, Mom reads this once in a while. She might get upset with me and disown me, or worse, she could stop giving me her coupons she get on Sunday! Sorry Mom. I will not refer to your house anymore as the Old Folks Home (at least not publicly......if I can remember...)

Anyway, I forgot to take my camera to take pictures of the lovely things I made to eat. I actually only cooked once, and that was Sunday lunch. I got home from Sunday meetings sooner than Mom did, so I decided to whip something up. I looked in the fridge and pulled out a couple of things, looked in the pantry and pulled out a couple more things, and then grabbed a couple more things out of the freezer. No recipe, just threw things together. What I came up with wasn't too bad. Not too great either, but edible. My sweet hubby politely asked me not to make that again. Bet you are glad I forgot my camera, hu? Not that I would really post my less than kitchen success recipe.....

Honestly, I have no idea what any of that has to do with this recipe. It has NOTHING to do with this recipe. I guess I just, I don't know, just, something..... Anywho, this is my favorite popcorn recipe. I love it! It is sweet, salty and perfect.

I found the recipe on All Recipes.


1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
salt

Pour oil into a large pot. Add 3 kernels of corn, cover with a lid and turn the heat to medium high. When the 3 kernels pop, add the sugar and popcorn and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, shaking about every 10 second, until the popping slows to 2 to 3 seconds between pops. Remove from heat and shake until popping ceases. Remove the lid with the pot tilted away from you (just in case) and pour into a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and stir. Be careful - the sugar on the popcorn will be VERY hot!

2 comments:

  1. Oddly, for the second time tonight while food blog surfing, I find this same recipe. I can help make this better, because I own a kettle korn concession!

    Your measurements are good, but try this.

    Get your oil hot, until it's 'roiling', so it when it looks like it's stirring itself.

    Add the sugar and swirl the pot. Now the suger will initially crystalize. Keep swirling. After about 15 seconds the sugar will become a syrup. Add the popcorn quickly, place on the pot lid, keep moving it, just like you would any popcorn.

    Cook it like any other popcorn, pull it just before it stops popping. Pour it in a bowl and salt it.

    BE CAREFUL. The sugar is still very sticky and hot.

    This way of cooking it will give you the type kk you get at street fairs and such. It will make a difference in your kettle korn pleasure.

    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Schteveo! I will have to try it that way next time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...