Friday, May 25, 2012

Sweet Potato, Sausage and Spinach Hash

It's funny, I've always been me, but in the last couple of years I've realized quite a few things about myself.  Like, spring has always been my favorite season.  I always thought it was because of the flowers that start to bloom and everything turns green.  Not that that hurts, but I've realized that sun + warm weather = happy me. :)  I've also realized that I like color.  Lots of color.  Color is another thing that makes me happy.  And I like it when colors are together that make each other stand out.  That's one of the reasons I fell in love with this beautiful Sweet Potato, Sausage and Spinach Hash.  I love the contrasting orange and green sprinkled with brown and yellow.  It just makes me happy.  And to top off it off, it's delicious!  That makes me happy, too. :)


1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 apple, diced (you could peel the apple, but you don't have to)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 mild Italian sausages, removed from casing (I used turkey)
2 to 3 large cups of baby spinach
1/3 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste

In a large nonstick skillet heat coconut oil over medium-high heat.  Once heated, add diced sweet potato, onion and apple.  Add a pinch or two of sea salt and cinnamon to the pan.  Cook sweet potato, onion and apple, stirring often so not to burn, until cooked and softened.  I like my sweet potatoes slightly browned.  While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Crumble sausage into the pan and cook until no longer pink and completely cooked.  Add spinach to the skillet and cook until the spinach is wilted - about 1 to 2 minutes.  Once spinach is cooked add the sweet potato apple mixture to pan and stir to combine all.

Recipe from Multiply Delicious.

Linked on Weekend Wrap Up Party

2 comments:

  1. Susan, I can easily substitute the veggie sausage I use in this yummy recipe. The addition of the cinnamon almost gives it a middle eastern flare and it looks just so healthy. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could even thrown 1/2 cup of pecans in there instead of the sausage to make it vegetarian. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...