Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Second Best Donuts EVER!

Why only the second best? Well, apparently Krispy Kreme is #1 and can't be beat, at least according to my 12 year old. If you have never had a Krispy Kreme donut, ignore the "Second" part. These are the BEST donuts ever!

I made Funnel Cakes a couple mornings ago and didn't want to throw out the oil after only using it once, so I decided to make donuts! I have only attempted making donuts once before, and according to my 10 year old, that was enough! When she found out I was making donuts she informed me that I couldn't make good donuts. The last ones were gross! I personally think the last ones turned out just fine. They just didn't have the texture of the store bought donuts. But, they were still an epic failure - at least according to the 10 year old. It has been years since I made them - probably close to 5 - so maybe they really were that bad. Maybe.....

When I had the donuts all finished and asked the kids who wanted a donut, my 10 year old asked if they were good and the 12 year old ignored me. Really?!?! Who refuses a donut and what 12 year old boy ignores a call for grub? After the first bite my 10 year old said they were really good and really did taste like donuts. That perked my 12 year old up and he asked her if there really were good. Maybe he thought the last ones were really bad too.... Anyway, she mumbled something nobody could understand with a mouthful of donut and bobbed her head up and down so vigorously I thought she just might choke to death. She didn't choke and the 12 year old decided to try a donut. He even ate the whole donut (and a whole second and possibly a whole third!)


I don't own a traditional donut cutter, so I used a wide-mouth jar ring and a play heart cookie cutter (compliments of my daughter). The hearts turned out SUPER cute in the middle and for the donut holes. Pretty brilliant if you ask me.


Look how tender. Yum!!

2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup shortening
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 quart vegetable oil for frying

1/3 cup butter
2 cups powder sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 tablespoons hot water or as needed

Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water, and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy. In a large bowl, mix together the yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and 2 cups of the flour. Mix for a few minutes at low speed, or stirring with a wooden spoon. Beat in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place the dough into a greased bowl, and cover. Set in a warm place to rise until double. Dough is ready if you touch it, and the indention remains. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter. Let doughnuts sit out to rise again until double. Cover loosely with a cloth. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in powder sugar and vanilla until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in hot water one tablespoon at a time until the icing is somewhat thin, but not watery. Set aside. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Slide doughnuts into the hot oil using a wide spatula. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown. Remove from hot oil, to drain on a wire rack. Dip doughnuts into the glaze while still hot, and set onto wire racks to drain off excess. Keep a cookie sheet or tray under racks for easier clean up.

Recipe from All Recipes

Shared on Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Show Me What Ya Got #38 and Anything Related #58.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...