Monday, August 22, 2011

Funnel Cakes

It's fair time here and that means Funnel Cakes! We are about 45 minutes away from the fair ground and we didn't make it this year, so I made Funnel Cakes for the kids since we won't be getting any at fair this year.

The Funnel Cakes come out so tasty! The kids love them with just plain powdered sugar, but I like to add some fresh berries or fruit puree. YUM!!!

Honestly, I don't use a funnel when I make Funnel Cakes. The funnel that I have is too small and the batter doesn't come out fast enough. I usually just make a funnel out of heavy paper, but got thinking this time (OUCH!!) and poured the batter into a plastic bag and snipped off the corner. Brilliant! A little messy (the only way that I found to stop the batter was by pinching the end of the bag), but still brilliant.


1 2/3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting

Beat together milk and eggs. Mix in flour, salt, baking soda, cream of tarter, and white sugar until smooth. Heat about 1 inch cooking oil in frying pan to 375. Pour 1/2 cup batter through a funnel into oil with a circular motion to form a spiral. Fry until golden brown, turn over to other side and brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Recipe from my old friend Lynda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...