Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Lunch Lady Peanut Butter Bars

My little 5 year old is quite the dainty little princess.  Yesterday she got mad at me and told me "Mom, if I had a magic wand I'd turn you into a frog so I wouldn't have to listen to you!".  :)  Now, to the recipe.

Growing up we always DREADED eating school lunch.  The soggy, nearly gray, green beans still give me nightmares!  There were some pretty tasty foods, too.  Like the School Lunch Room Rolls and these yummy Lunch Lady Peanut Butter Bars.  There's just something magical about chocolate and peanut butter together.  It makes things disappear right before my eyes!



1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cups creamy peanut butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups oats

Peanut butter layer:
3/4 cups creamy peanut butter

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. In a small mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a large mixing bowl cream together butter, sugars, peanut butter, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Stir in the oats, then spread onto a greased 11x15-inch cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Whip the peanut butter for the peanut butter layer until it becomes light and fluffy. Carefully spread the whipped peanut butter over the peanut butter bars. Place butter in a small sauce pan and melt over medium heat. Add the milk and cocoa. Cook, stirring constantly, just until boiling. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Gradually add the powdered sugar and stir until incorporated. Pour over the peanut butter and gently spread. Cool completely.

4 comments:

  1. These so appeal to me--I lived on Peanut Butter growing up! Thank you for the recipe, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh! I actually just looked at the clock, but it's 2:30 am, so I won't be making these right now. I want one though!! ;) [#PinItThurs]

    ReplyDelete
  3. HaHaHa I believe I have heard something similar from my little princesses! The peanut bars look amazing, I love the combo of pb & chocolate! Checking out this sweet treat from pin it Thursday! :-)
    Cathy
    www.threekidsandafish.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look good, I love cooking with peanut butter it gives food a great flovour. (The Weekend re-Treat!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...