Monday, September 16, 2013

Zucchini Brownies

I FINALLY have zucchini growing (almost) out my ears.  The last few years I was still buying the stuff all summer long, even though I had zucchini plants.  I must have done something right this year, because I haven't had to buy any.  Not even once!  I've been doing my best to use it up and not waste any, and these Zucchini brownies were a great way to use some of the zucchini.

My daughter took a brownie and was half way through eating it when....

"Mom, these are really good.  What recipe did you use?"

"They're zucchini brownies."

She made a disgusted face, returned the brownie to the kitchen, then walked off.  They must not have really been too bad, I caught her sneaking them throughout the rest of the afternoon and evening. :)  The neighbors even loved them (I made sure to let them know that the brownies weren't moldy when I delivered them...).


2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups zucchini, shredded
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Frosting
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, sugar, vanilla and oil. Stir in dry ingredients until blended. Stir in walnuts, if using. Pour into a greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes. In a large saucepan combine butter, sugar and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add chocolate chips and marshmallows.  Stir until melted and smooth, then add vanilla. Spread over brownies and sprinkle with nuts, if desired. 
Recipe from Real Mom Kitchen.


Want the nutritional information?  You can find it here.  

2 comments:

  1. Great way to sneak it this fabulous veggie for kids! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now you've taken my brownie addiction to a whole new level....I can claim they're healthy for me now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...