Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Peppermint Meltaways

These things are incredible!! And highly addictive. They are another reason I stock up on candy canes at the after Christmas clearance sales and endure strange looks from the kids friends when they are spotted on my shelf in the middle of the summer. My darling little 9 year old said "Mom, in my world these would grow on trees". They are that yummy!

I got this recipe from my friend Jenny when I was pregnant with my first. She took them to a get together and I could not stop eating them (baby wanted them REAL bad). Maybe that's why I blew up like a balloon with him. He sure is a tender, sweet little (big) guy though. These must be the secret. On the other hand, it could have been a conspiracy. We were both pregnant and due at the same time. Maybe she was just trying to ensure that I would get fatter than her.... :)



1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup corn starch

In a large bowl cream butter, sugar and extract. Add flour and cornstarch and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes. Shape into small balls and place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes. Do not brown. Cool.

Frosting:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 to 3 drops red food coloring
crushed peppermint candy

Cream butter, powdered sugar, peppermint extract and food coloring. Add milk one tablespoon at a time. Drizzle over cookies then sprinkle with crushed candy.

1 comment:

  1. These look so good! I am thinking I might just make these for our Christmas Cookie Exchange. Could you tell me how many one batch makes? Thanks so much and love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...