Friday, October 12, 2012

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Icing

I have the curse of naturally curly hair.  At least that's how I lovingly refer to it.  And my hair is thick.  Which I can't complain about.  Unless it's short and I don't do it.  Then I look like a tumble weed.

I was getting together with some friends tonight for a girls night out and thought I would actually do my hair (aka straighten my hair).  I don't straighten it often because it takes longer than I like to spend on my hair (more than 30 seconds).  But decided I would.  My hubby mocked offense that I would do my hair for the girls, but not him.  I don't know what possessed me to do it, but it was a bad, very bad idea!  I found 6 gray hairs!  Not just one, or even two, but 6!  I think now would be an appropriate time for a mid-life crisis.  And a diet Coke.  And lots of chocolate.  And maybe even a cinnamon roll.

There are several wonderful things about these Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Icing.  Like, the batch only makes 12 cinnamon rolls (you could easily double it, I'm sure).  You're probably wondering why I would say just 12 cinnamon rolls would be a good thing.  Well, I'm severely lacking in the self control department.  So now I only have to attempt to have self control for 12 cinnamon rolls, instead of 24, or more.  That's a good thing.  And then there's the caramel icing.  I don't think I need to say anything more about that one.  Let's not forget about the pumpkin.  I love being able to sneak healthy stuff into less healthy stuff.

Surprisingly, some of these Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Icing survived until the next morning.  I put one in the microwave for 20 second and let the icing melt into the roll.  Yum!



1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (I used some I bottled)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon dry yeast
2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter
Caramel Icing:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 dash salt
3/4 cup powdered sugar

Combine butter and milk in small saucepan and heat over medium heat until the butter is just melted, stirring constantly. In large bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Add milk mixture and beat until well mixed. Beat in egg and yeast. Add half of the flour to the pumpkin mixture and beat on low speed 5 minutes. Add remaining flour and mix thoroughly (dough will be very soft). Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Pour dough out onto a lightly greased surface and knead to get the air bubble out and make the dough smooth. Roll the dough into 12x10-inch rectangle. In small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Brush surface of dough with melted butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture. Beginning with long side of dough, roll up like a jellyroll. Pinch the seam to seal. With sharp knife or piece of string, cut the roll into twelve 1-inch slices. Place rolls, cut sides up and down, in greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, 30 to 45 minutes. Bake the rolls at 350 for15 to 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool for 15 minutes, then drizzle with caramel icing.

For the Caramel Frosting:
In small saucepan, heat butter until melted. Stir in brown sugar and milk. Cook over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Pour into a small bowl to cool. Once cooled (I let it cool to luke warm) stir in vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and powdered sugar. Beat until well blended.

Recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything.

Linked on Tatertots and Jello and Sweet as Sugar Cookies.

3 comments:

  1. Susan, that would taste so good right now...why don't you live closer:-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these sound wonderful! I love the pumpkin caramel combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderful! The pumpkin keeps them nice and moist and the icing is perfect! :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...