Friday, August 3, 2012

Homemade Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

I love homemade macaroni and cheese. The stuff in the blue box just doesn't seem to cut it for me. I prefer the real stuff. Anytime I ask my 4 year old what she wants to eat for lunch, she always replies with macaroni and cheese. It never fails. On her birthday I asked her what she wanted for dinner and her reply was the same, macaroni and cheese. Since it was her birthday, I decided to give in to her macaroni and cheese addiction, but not from the blue box. She got Homemade Creamy Macaroni and Cheese and loved it! And I loved that it was fairly easy to make - it's all done on the stove top.



3 1/2 cups water
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (12 ounce) box elbow macaroni or other pasta (I used rotini)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Franks)
12 ounces shredded cheese (I've used mild cheddar, sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack)
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks
Pepper to taste

In a large (12 inch) skillet, bring water, 1 cup evaporated milk, salt and macaroni just to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until the macaroni is cooked, about 10 minutes. Combine remaining evaporated milk, cornstarch, mustard, nutmeg and hot sauce together in a small bowl, then stir into the skillet. Continue to simmer until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add cheese 1 handful at a time, stirring after each addition until melted. Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve immediately.

Recipe adapted from Mels Kitchen Cafe.

1 comment:

  1. My grands live on this and I'm so happy you posted a wonderful recipe. I don't understand why people choose to make the "box" version when you make it look so easy!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...